Sweetened tea can be a sweet thing. If you hate bitter aftertastes, then you may already known to turn to tea’s formidable ally: sugar. Adding sugar to your tea adds a fun, creative, and lively dimension to its natural flavors. We’re going to show you how to make rock candy from German rock sugar, which is wonderful way to dissolve some sweetness into your tea. Rock candy, especially if it’s made with our German Rock Sugar, is a complexly flavored, full-bodied sugar-cube substitute to heighten your tea experience. Creating this treat from scratch only takes a little skill; not to mention, it’s a kid-friendly recipe.
This recipe makes one cup of rock candy. What you’ll need are the basic ingredients:
- Wooden skewers or a thread.
- 1 cup of water.
- A glass jar. Make sure the jar has room for at least a cup of water, if not more, to hold all the candy in.
- 1-2 cups of The Persimmon Tree’s German Rock Sugar (adjust for desired rock candy sweetness).
- Optional ingredients:
- Food coloring. The more colorful, the better! Be creative.
- Honey. A natural additive for super sweetness.
- Prepare your skewers/threads ahead of time. Wet them and cover them in sugar. Let them dry. Optimal time range for this is 24 hours-1 hour before you start.
- Prepare your jars beforehand as well. Add the prepared skewer/threads into the jar and have them hang an inch above the bottom. You can use clips to hold the skewers up or tie your thread to a pencil to keep the skewer/thread hanging inside the jar, an inch from the bottom.
- Make sure the skewer (or thread) hangs as shown, once put into place.
Getting into it:
- Bring the cup of water to a boil.
- Reduce the boil slightly.
- Gradually add the 1-2 cups of German Rock Sugar until fully dissolved.
- At this stage, if you want to use honey, add it in until dissolved.
- Continue boiling for 10 minutes.
- Add food coloring at this stage.
- Let the whole mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- Prepare to add the sugar into the jar. Have your skewers/threads removed at this point.
- You’re ready to pour it into your prepared jars. It’s recommended you use a funnel or a similar apparatus to pour the sugar mixture into the jar.
- Add the skewer/thread into the jar. Make sure the skewer/thread doesn’t move and settles into its exact place, just like how it was settled earlier.
- Cover the cup with a bag and let the process work its magic. Wait for about 5-7 days before you can enjoy your rock candy treat with your favorite tea. Doesn’t it look delicious?